Periodontal Post Op Instructions
General Guidelines for all procedures:
Do not chew on hard, sticky or chewy foods for a least 24 hours. Never chew on ice. Avoid aggressive chewing and sticky foods such as “hard tack” candies that can loosen or damage a restoration. Carefully follow all guidelines provided by the doctor and their staff and most importantly practice good oral hygiene. Additional instructions following various types of treatment are listed below. Please click on the below topics for detailed instructions. In the event of an emergency, please call our office. If you are experiencing a serious or life threatening emergency, please call 911 or visit the nearest emergency room.
- Take medications as directed for pain
- Continue antibiotics until done
- Rinse with the Peridex until your follow up visit
Swelling is normal and peaks 48 to 72 hours after many surgical procedures. To minimize or eliminate the amount of post op swelling, follow the instructions below:
- Place an ice pack the first day (15 minute on 15 minute off)
- Sleep on two pillows to elevate head
- Continue with the anti inflammatory pain medicine until swelling goes down, even if there is minimal discomfort.
Light bleeding may occur. You can control bleeding by applying pressure with a moist gauze or wet tea bag for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with Peridex or warm salt water
- Avoid Brushing or flossing the surgical area
- It’s okay to brush and floss other teeth
- A surgical dressing may have been placed over the surgical area. Try to keep it in place but it is OK if it comes off and may be removed if it becomes very loose.
- Iced food the first day is soothing (ice cream or smoothies)
- Avoid hot foods or beverages the first day of surgery
- Avoid eating on the surgical site
- Eat soft food such as: Yogurt, Mashed Potatoes, Oatmeal, Applesauce, Soup, Bananas, Well-cooked veggies, Pudding, Pasta, Protein shakes, Soft bread, Eggs, Fish
- DO NOT eat chewy, hard, fried or spicy food like Peanuts, Popcorn, Chips, Seeds…
Avoid for exercise for a minimum of 48 hours after surgery. After leaving the office, relax for the remainder of the day.